amazing مدهش slide down ينزلق calculate يحسب
discoveries اكتشافات ground أرض cheerfully فى ابتهاج
get lost يضل الطريق disappear يختفى filled up يمتلئ
the rest الباقى sharp rock صخور حادة eagerly بشغف
group مجموعة beneath تحت slope منحدر
lie يرقد lost
consciousness فقد الوعى steep شديد الانحدار
rescue ينقذ intend to ينوى أن
thunder رعد awake يستيقظ mushrooms عيش الغراب
noise ضوضاء wonder يتساءل beach شاطئ
waves أمواج wander يتجول strange غريب
shore شاطئ explore يستكشف unlike عكس
human voice صوت آدمى insist on يصر على sunlight ضوء الشمس
imagine يتخيل amazed مندهش moonlight ضوء القمر
call ينادى stretch رقعة ممتدة tower برج
apart بعيدا huge cave كهف ضخم raft قارب
1- What awoke Axel after he fainted?
- A noise like thunder or waves.
2- What words did Axel hear when he came to himself?
- He heard his name.
3- Whose voice did Axel hear when he woke up?
- His uncle's voice.
4- Where was Professor Lidenbrock?
- He was in a big hall.
5- Why could they hear each other?
- Because all the passages led into the place where Axel was.
6- How long did the voice take to reach the hall?
- 20 seconds.
7- How far was Axel from his uncle and Hans?
- Six kilometers away.
8- How did the Professor calculate the distance between them?
- He asked Axel to call him again.
9- Why did the Professor ask Axel to walk down the passage?
- To find them.
10- Why did Axel faint again?
- Because his head hit a sharp rock.
11- Why did Axel slide down the passage?
- Because the slope was very steep.
12- Why did the Professor give a cry of joy?
- Because Axel was still alive.
13- What did Axel see when he awoke?
- Strange light, big sea and a roof of rooks.
14- How was the light in the huge cave different?
- It was cold and white (unlike sunlight or moonlight).
15- What did the Professor name the sea?
- Lidenbrock Sea.
16- Where was Lidenbrock Sea?
- Inside the earth.
17- What did they see on the shore of the Sea?
- Golden sand, bones of animals and giant mushrooms.
18- What was different about the plants they saw?
- They were taller and bigger.
19- What did the trees look like?
- Giant umbrellas.
20- How would the Professor explore the Sea?
- By using a raft.
21- How did Hans make the raft?
- He cut down some trees and tied them together.
1- The Professor asked Axel to call again to ….. calculate the distance between them.
2- Axel fainted again when……. his head hit a sharp rock.
3- The Professor gave a cry of joy ………… because Axel was still alive.
4- When Axel awoke, he saw…… strange light, big sea and a roof of rooks.
explorer مستكشف exist يعيش – يوجد fountain نافورة
wind blew هبن الريح lizard سحلية get closer يقترب
try fishing يحاول الصيد terrified مرعوب shape شكل
tie يربط iron حديد avoid يتجنب
hook خطاف lift يرفع ground أرض
line صنارة burst ينفجر trembled اهتزت
pull يشد flame لهب lightning البرق
deck سطح القارب inland بالداخل flash تومض
flat head رأس مستوية tusks أنياب storm عاصفة
tail ذيل attack يهجم على lower the sail ينزل الشراع
fossil حفرية fiercely بعنف mast صارى السفينة
creature مخلوق monster وحش geyser نافورة ماء ساخن
voyage رحلة بحرية fight يحارب range of hills سلسة تلال
tug شدة twist يلف skull جمجمة
extinct منقرض gradually تدريجيا pale yellow أصفر شاحب
die out منقرض pain ألم mammoths فيلة منقرضة
shepherd راعى غنم roaring noise صوت زئير herd قطيع
1- How far did they travel on Lidenbrock Sea?
- 145 kilometres.
2- How did Hans try fishing in Lidenbrock Sea?
- He tied a hook to the end of a rope, put some meat on it and threw it into the sea.
3- What was strange about the fish Hans caught?
- It had a flat head, but no tail or eyes.
4- What creatures did Axel expect to see on Lidenbrock Sea?
- Lizards, whales or birds which lived on earth millions of years ago.
5- How did the Professor find out the depth of the Sea?
- He tied a pickaxe to a rope and threw it into the sea.
6- What did he find when he pulled the pickaxe?
- He found the marks of a monster's teeth.
7- How was the raft thrown into the air?
- By a huge sea monster.
8- What did the two monsters do?
- They fought fiercely for 2 or 3 hours.
9- What was the result of the fight?
- One of the two monsters was killed.
10- What was the fountain of water? - A geyser.
11- Where did the geyser come from?
- From an island.
12- What did Axel think the dark shape was?
- A huge animal.
13- What was the dark shape?
- An island.
14- What name did the Professor give to the island?
- Axel Island.
15- What did the storm do to the raft?
- It blew the raft at a great speed.
16- How long did the storm last? - 3 days.
17- What appeared in the sky?
- A ball of fire.
18- What happened when the ball of fire hit the raft?
- It burst انفجرت and Axel fainted.
19- What did they see in the island?
- Forests of tall trees that were pale yellow and bones of extinct animals.
20-What did the Professor find on the shore?
- A skull of a human. That meant people had lived there before.
21- What giant animal did they see in the forest?
- Mammoths which were extinct on the Earth.
22- How did Axel know about the mammoths?
- From pictures in his science books.
23- What was the tall man they saw at the forest?
- He was a shepherd who looked after the mammoths.
24- How tall was the shepherd?
- More than 3 metres.
25- Why did the Professor decide to leave the forest?
- Because they were afraid of the shepherd.
shine يلمع initials الحروف الأولى heart قلب
bend down ينحني excitement إثارة delay تأخير
knife سكينة break down يحطم explode ينفجر
steel صلب deserve يستحق explosion انفجار
therefore و لذلك gunpowder بارود return to يعود إلى
blade نصل – حد exclaim يصيح متعجباً count يعد
rough خشن blow up يُفجر complete يُكمل
carve ينحت hole حفرة darkness ظلام
at the foot of أمام pack يحزم – يحشو speed سرعة
cliff صخرة fuse فتيل prevent يمنع
entrance مدخل by midnight قبل منتصف الليل in any case على أية حال
dark tunnel نفق مظلم light - lit يشعل - أشعل discovery اكتشاف
doubt شك beat with fear يدق في خوف
1- What did Axel find in the sand on the shore?
- A steel knife with a rough blade.
2- Where did they find the letters A.S.?
- On a rock at the entrance of a dark tunnel.
3- What did the letters A.S mean?
- That Arne had been to the centre of the earth.
4- When Axel's fears about the journey disappear?
- When he saw the letters A.S carved on a rock.
5- What prevented them to enter the tunnel?
- A huge rock blocked their way.
6- How did they break the huge rock?
- Hans made a hole in the wall with his pickaxe. Then they filled it with gunpowder.
7- What was used to blow up the rock ?
8- What did they lose during the explosion?
- Most of their food, water, tools and instruments.
9- How did they lose their food?
- because of the waves after the explosion
10- Why wasn't Axel worried about losing the food?
- Because he was thought they would be killed soon.
1- The blade of the knife was rough because …………………….….
Arne used it to carve his initials on a stone.
2- As soon as the gunpowder exploded, …………………………..…
a huge hole opened in the rock and the sea became one big wave.
3- They lost most of their food when ………………………………..….
the waves carried them away at a very high speed.
4- They had to blow up the huge rock because …… it was blocking their way.
waterfall شلال strength قوة eruption ثورة بركان
splash رذاذ - طرطشة drive upwards يدفع للأعلى lick يلحس
rush on يندفع burning hot شديدة السخونة heat يسخن - حرارة
change تغير boil يغلى unbearable لا يطاق
drive up يدفع لأعلى shake يهز push up يدفع لأعلى
chimney فتحة - شق shook…head هز رأسه cling to يلتصق بـ
explain يشرح compass بوصلة terrific رهيب
nearly تقريباً go crazy يُجن force قوة
beloved محبوب go mad يُجن spin يدور
Keep up يحافظ على active volcano بركان نشط explosion انفجار
lava حمم بركانية ashes رماد slope منحدر
1- What did Axel tell his uncle about their food? What did the Professor say?
- nearly all their food was gone. The Professor said nothing.
2- What happened to the needle of the compass? Why?
- It went in all direction. Because they were in the middle of an active volcano.
3- What was their only chance of returning to the surface of the earth?
- The eruption of the volcano that would push them up with terrific force.
4- How did the Professor feel when he looked at the compass? Why?
- He was happy because he knew that the eruption of the volcano would be their
chance to return to the surface of the earth.
5- Why did Axel faint when he was in the active volcano?
- He fainted because the heat was unbearable.
6- What could Axel remember about the eruption of the volcano?
- He could remember explosions, falling rocks, waves of red-hot lava and flames
7- What was Axel’s last memory of the eruption of the volcano?
- Han’s calm face looking at him.
8- Where did the three men find themselves in the end?
- They found themselves on a steep mountain slope on the surface of the Earth.
9-What did Axel see when he opened his eyes again?
- He saw Hans holding him and he was laying on a steep mountain.
10-How did they know they were back to the surface of the earth?
- When they saw the sky.
11-Where did Axel find himself when they were back to the surface of the earth?
- He found himself on a steep mountain slope.
12-Where did the volcano through the three men?
- It threw them out on the surface of the earth.
1- As the raft continued to go up, it got …. hotter … and …hotter … .
2- They returned to the surface of the earth through ………. an active volcano.
3- The Professor didn't find food to eat because ……… nearly all their food was lost.
4- Because of the great heat, Axel ………. fainted.
reply يرد language لغة fact حقيقة
ground أرض before us أمامنا change his mind يغير رأيه
dry جاف Mediterranean البحر المتوسط
edge حافة wonderful رائع become يصبح
crater فوهة بركان make a journey يقوم برحلة share يشارك
lake بحيرة enter يدخل welcome يرحب
in the distance على بعد exchange يتبادل hold يقيم
exclaim يصيح towards تجاه celebration احتفال
coast ساحل cause يسبب make a speech يلقى خطاباً
adventure مغامرة excitement إثارة-فرح in our honour تكريماً لنا
pick fruit يلتقط فاكهة believe يصدق argue يتجادل
news أخبار refuse يرفض sorrow حزن
1- How did Hans know that they were not in Iceland?
- Because the sun was very hot and the ground was dry.
2- Where were the three men when they returned to the surface of the Earth?
- They were on the island of Stromboli, south of Italy.
3- How did they know that they were in Italy?
- They knew that because they met a boy spoke only Italian.
4- What could Axel see when he looked down the mountain?
- He could see tall green trees, little gardens and the blue waters of a sea or a lake.
5- When did the boy answer the professor's questions?
- The boy answered when the professor asked him in Italian.
6- How were the people in San Vicenzo kind to the men?
- They give the men food, drink and new clothes.
7- When did the three men arrive back in Hamburg?
- They arrived back in Hamburg on September 9th.
8- What was that exciting journey they had made?
- They had entered the Earth through the dead volcano of Sneffels and returned
through the active Volcano of Stromboli.
9- What did their return cause?
- It caused a lot of excitement and argument.
10. How could the people in Hamburg believe the story of the journey?
- They could believe it because Hans, the Icelandic guide, had been with them and
there had been news about their journey from Iceland.
11. How did the people in Hamburg celebrate the professor's return?
- They held a celebration where the most important people in Hamburg made
speeches in his honour.
12. What did Hans decide to do in the end?
- He decided to return to Iceland.
13. How did the professor and Axel feel about that decision?
- They were sad about his decision. They loved him because he was calm and
sensible, but they couldn't stop him.
: Chapter 6 :
- A) Answer the following questions :
1- What did Axel and the Prof. find along the shore of the Sea?
2- Why did the Prof. ask Axel to call to him?
3- Who made the raft? How?
4- Why did Axel faint inside the passage?
5- Why did the Prof. ask Hans to make the raft?
6- Why did Hans cut down some of the trees?
7- What name did the Prof. give to the Sea?
8- Where was the sea?
9- How did they cross the sea?
10. Why did the Prof. give a cry of joy?
: Chapter 7 :
1- What was strange about the fish Hans caught?
2- How did the Prof. know that Lidenbrock Sea was deep?
3- Why did Axel faint during the storm?
4- What was the result of the fight between the two monsters?
5- What did they do when they saw the shepherd?
6- How did Axel recognize the mammoths?
7- How long did the storm last?
8- How tall was the man they saw in the forest?
9- What marks did they see on the pickaxe?
10. What was the dark shape they saw?
: Chapter 8 :
1- What did the letters A.S stand for?
2- How did the initials A.S change Axel’s mind?
3- How were they able to blow up the huge rock?
4- What happened to the raft after the explosion?
5- What did they lose after the explosion?
6- Why was the blade of the knife rough?
7- Why did Arne carve his initials on the rock?
8- How did they lose their food, water and tools?
9- Why wasn’t Axel worried about losing everything?
: Chapter 9 :
1- How did they return to the centre of the earth?
2- What did Axel tell his uncle about their food? What did the Professor say?
3- What happened to the needle of the compass? Why?
4- What was their only chance of returning to the surface of the earth?
5- What could Axel remember about the eruption of the volcano?
6- Where were they when Axel opened his eyes?
: Chapter 10 :
1- How did Hans know that they were not in Iceland?
2- How did they know that they were in Italy?
3- How were the people in San Vicenzo kind to the men?
4- What did their return cause
5- How could the people in Hamburg believe the story of the journey?
6- What did Hans decide to do in the end?
7- How did the professor and Axel feel about that decision?
1- A) Answer the following questions : ( البحيرة 2010 )
1- Why did Professor Lidenbrock ask Axel to call to him again?
2- How did Axel recognise the mammoths in the forest?
3- When did all Axel's doubts about the journey disappear?
4- How were the people of San Vicenzo kind to the Professor, Axel and Hans?
B) Complete the following to make meaningful sentences:
1- Axel fell down while he was walking because......................................
2- The only sorrow was that Hans decided to............................................
2- A) Answer the following questions : ( القليوبية 2010 )
1- What animals did the group see on the sea shore ?
2- Where did the volcano throw the three men ?
3- How did Hans and Axel make a hole in the rock ?
4- What was strange about the people that the group saw ?
B) Complete the following to make meaningful sentences:
5- To help them explore cross the sea , Hans made a .............................
6- There was lava everywhere , so Axel fainted because of the .............
3- A) Answer the following questions : ( الجيزة 2010)
1. What did they find on the pickaxe?
2. Why was Hans sure they were not in Iceland?
3. Who tried to break the rock with pickaxes?
4. Why did Axel know they were back on the surface of the earth?
B) Complete the following to make meaningful sentences :
1. The mushrooms looked like …………………
2. Axel fainted because of ………………………………
4- A) Answer the following questions : ( الدقهلية 2010) 1- How did the storm help them on the Lidenbrock Sea?
2- Where did they find the letters A.S?
3- Why was the needle moving in all directions?
4- How did the people in Hamburg honour the Prof. and his men?
(B) complete the following sentences :
1- Axel recoginsed mammoths because……………………………………...…. .
2- Hans and Axel broke the stone by ……………………………………………….
5- A) Answer the following questions :
1- What name did the professor give to the sea he discovered ?
2- What did Hans make to help them explore it ?
3- What animals did they see on the sea shore ?
4- Which character do you like best in the story ? why ?
(B) complete the following sentences :
1- While axel was running along the shore, he saw ……………………………….…. .
2- The professor and axel felt sorry when Hans decided to ………………………….