منتدى شنواى
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

الرئيسيةمجلة شنواىأحدث الصورالتسجيلدخول

Review 1: Units 7 – 12

اذهب الى الأسفل 
2 مشترك
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
مستر ايهاب
عضو vip
عضو vip
مستر ايهاب

ذكر
عدد المساهمات : 2220
نقاط : 3148
تاريخ التسجيل : 23/10/2009

Review 1: Units 7 – 12  Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: Review 1: Units 7 – 12    Review 1: Units 7 – 12  Emptyالأربعاء 18 أبريل 2012 - 20:32

The Mask of Gold: Chapters 4-6

Review C
1- Respond to each of the following situations:
1- A friend suggests going to the theatre tonight. You are not sure.
2- You and your friend are free today. You suggest something.
3- Your friend asks you about the best way to improve his/her English.
4- Your teacher is angry because you didn't do your homework. Apologise, giving a reason.
5- Your little brother is throwing rubbish on the floor of your room.
6- Your are at a travel agency. You'd like to book a morning flight to London.
7- Someone asks you what you use the internet for.
8- You want to buy a present for your sister for her birthday. You ask a friend for advice.
Mention the place, the speakers and the language function in each of the following two mini-dialogues:
1-A: Excuse me. Do you speak English?
B: Yes, I do. How can I help you?
A: Could you tell me the way to the Cairo Tower, please?
B: Yes, Cross the road here, take the first road to the right,
and the tower is at the end of that road.

2-A: We have to give our English homework in today.
B: I know, but I don't know where my book is.
A: Isn't it in your school bag?
B: No, I think I must have left it at home.

2-A. My job isn't well-paid. What do you think I should do?
B. I think you should look for another job. We need more
Money to send the kids to a good school.

3-A: You are getting fat, Ahmed.
B: Yes, I know. I'd really like to lose weight.
A: Why don't you join a sports club?
B: That sounds nice.

Read the following passage carefully:

Controlling Floods
In many countries, rivers that cause floods have to be controlled. There are many ways of doing this, including building walls along the sides of rivers so that they do no flood even when the water level rises. In some places lakes are created next to rivers so that, when the level rises, the water runs into the lakes instead of into the streets of towns or cities. In other places, dams have been built to stop rivers flooding. The Aswan dam is a good example of this.
In London, the British capital, many areas are below the level of the river Thames, which means that the city has to be protected from possible floods. To do this, a huge metal wall called the Thames Barrier was built across the river. Usually this stays open so boats can pass up the Thames to London or down the river to the sea. If the water in the river rises to a dangerous level, however, the wall can be raised. Between 1982, when it was finished, and 2009, the Thames Barrier was raised over 100 times. Venice in Italy has the same control system.
We usually think of floods as bad and there are many examples of floods which have destroyed towns, cities and farm land. But floods can also benefit people. In the past, for example, Nile floods made agricultural land more fertile for farmers.
3- Choose the correct answer:
1- Too much sun can be (respectable – harmful – unthinkable – in conflict).
2- We (visited – called – hit – knocked) on the door three times, but they didn't hear us.
3- Nurses are part of the medical (profession – work – job – career).
4- I get on well with all my (people – workers – colleagues – relatives) at work, but they aren't close friends.
5- The accident (occurred – took – came – caused) at 8 o'clock when everyone was on their way to work.
6- They left 2 hours ago, so they (must – must have – have – can't have) arrived by now. It is not far.
7- No one is sure where Ali is, but we think he (must – can't have – might have – must have) gone to see his uncle.
8- She asked me whether (I had been – I went – I go – had I been) there before.
9- If (I'll read – I read – I had read – I would read) for too long, I get a headache.
10- If you had come ten minutes later, I (would leave – will leave – leave – would have left).
11- He (is – is being – has been – was) to the top of the tower with his parents.
12- Have you ever been to the top of a tall (structure – creature – feature - sculpture).
13- She (must have been telling – can't have been telling – must tell – can't tell) the truth. I'm sure she did.
14- I don't know where he is. He (might have missed – misses – can miss – doesn't miss) the train.
15- He (must have sent – should have sent - can't have sent – might have sent) the e-mail. I'm sure he didn't.
16- I was out this morning. He (may try – may be trying – can be trying - might have tried) to phone me then.
17- He (can't have finished – should finish – must have finished – may have finished) his tea already. It was really hot.
18- My little brother (can't have hidden - must have hidden – should have hidden – is hiding) my calculator. He's always hiding things
19- If you (liked – have liked – had liked – like) mysteries, you'll love Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
20- If I told you the story, you (wouldn't need – will need – need – wouldn't have needed) to read it.
21- I (don't mind - won't mind - wouldn't mind – didn't mind) if you tell me how the story starts.
22- If his colleagues had worked with him, he (wouldn't have to – didn't have to - wouldn't have had to – had to) do experiments on himself.
23- If I (tell – told – had told – were told) you that, you'll guess the rest of the story.
24- If you want to know what happens, you (would have to – would have had to - will have to – had to) read it yourself.
25- Leila asked Sara if she (does – will do - was doing – had done) anything the next day.
26- Mona said she (was going - is going – goes – has gone) to see her grandparents.
27- Lamia asked Sally if she (buys – has bought - had bought – is buying) her grandfather a present.
28- She wondered why (had the meeting taken – did the meeting take – would the meeting take – the meeting had taken) so long.
29- A lot of people (communicate – compete - commute – compare) to Cairo from nearby towns.
30- He studied mechanical (entertaining – comparing – engineering – pioneering) at the University of Dublin.
31- I've (injected - invested – infected – intended) all my money in the company.
32- There has been a (depressive – expensive – explosive – massive) increase in prices in the last few weeks.
33- Our country needs a strong economic (base – case – lease – disease).
34- The small statue was (harvested – carved – deprived – braved) out of marble.
35- These big windows give good (elimination – determination – illumination – deviation).
36- Our ancient monuments have great (historical – analytical – arithmetical – botanical) importance.
37- She admitted (to have - having – had – would have) broken the computer.
38- John Nelson wrote an interesting (photography – bibliography - biography – geography) of Napoleon.
39- It took him 2 months to (recuperate –cooperate – celebrate – accelerate) from fever.
40- Two young women were trying to (rise – arouse – arise – raise) money for charity.
41- His new car (must have cost – is costing – may have cost – might have cost) a lot of money. I'm sure about that.
42- They (must have gone - can't have gone - may have gone – might have gone) out because all the windows are open.
43- What you are saying (is true – must be true - can't be true – will be true). I don't believe it.
44- New evidence proved that the accused (could be – must have been – would be - couldn't have been) at the scene of the crime, so we expect that he will be released.
45- I wonder if (she will – will she – can she – does she) recognize me after all these years.
46- Mona asked if things (would turn – might turn – had turned - would have turned) out differently for Ahmed if she had been able to spend more time with him.
47- Do you think I'd be here if I (have – am having - had – had had) a choice?
48- If I (weren't – were – had been – am) you, I'd put the money in the bank right away.
49- (If I knew - Had I known – Were I to know – Should I know) earlier that you wanted to join the team, I'd have put your name on the list.
50- (If – Were – Unless – Should) there be any problems, contact me immediately.

4- Find the mistakes in each of the following sentences and write them correctly:
1- The assistant said I could try the trousers on and told me where were the changing rooms.
2- If I was more time, I'd learn another language.
3- If metal gets hot, it expanded.
4- Unless my work improved, I lose the job.
5- He couldn't answer any of the questions on the test. He must have studied well.
6- I must have left my purse in the shop. I'm not certain.
7- Have something to eat. You can't be hungry.
8- You can do that. It's forbidden.
9- She told me where was the station.
10- She asked the teacher how long had it taken the ancient Egyptians to build the Pyramids.
11- I am not sure how well I did in the test at school today, but I think I might pass.
12- You can't have been very thirsty. There is no orange juice left in the bottle.
13- I asked him where had he been all morning.
14- If it had been too hot yesterday, he wouldn't go to the beach.
15- What about go shopping this afternoon?
16- How in earth is it possible to irrigate the desert?
17- The number of composers to London has dropped by 100,000.
18- The dome is 42.3 metres in diagonal.
19- In a few years, he had climbed to the top of his procession.
20- He is recreating from a serious back injury.

The Mask of Gold Chapters 4-6
5- A) Answer the following questions:
1- What was the part played by the UNESCO in the excavation project?
2- Why was Pablo Alvarez shown everything found at the site?
B) Complete the following to make meaningful sentences:
1- Leila realized that Lander was a liar when she -----------------------------------------------.
2- Dr Hafez believed that Leila and Amalia would get along better when -------------------------.
C) Read the quotation and answer the questions:
"“Of course we need to find a gold mask to be sure it’s the tomb of a king. But this is still a great discovery.”"

1- Who said this to whom?
2- What was the great discovery and who made it?

6- A)Translate into Arabic:
Life in areas with little or no water is very difficult. Any rain that falls must be stored for times when there is no water. In fact, people have to recycle water. For example, water used for washing can be used afterwards for watering plants.

B) Translate into English:
1- يمكن أن تتسبب الفيضانات في تدمير الكثير من المنازل وتشريد الآلاف من الناس.
2- لولا الماء و الهواء لهلكت كل الكائنات الحية.

Review D

1- Respond to each of the following situations:
1- A friend asks how you feel about an important English test you have next week.
2- A friend asks you if you had a good weekend. You enjoyed the weekend, but you think you wasted a lot of time.
3- One of your friends is very busy. You would like to help him or her.
4- A friend asks you what kind of books you enjoy reading.
5- A friend asks you what sort of films you enjoy watching.
6- You are visiting a friend who is ill in hospital.
7- You ask an old person what his/her life was like when he/she was young.
8- Your friend wants to do an individual sport. Give him/her some advice.

2-Mention the place, the speakers and the language function in each of the following two mini-dialogues:
1-A. Whose statue is that?
B : It's the statue of Ramses II. He was one of the greatest
ancient Egyptian pharaohs.

2- A: Have you sent the e-mails to our customers.
B: Yes, sir.
A: Do I have any appointments today.
B: Yes, sir. You have one at 10 a.m. and another at 1 p.m.

3-A. You really must read this novel.
B. Why do you think so?
A: It's so exciting and the characters are so real.

4-A: Would you like me to help you with the housework.
B: That would be kind of you.

Read the following passage carefully:

An end to food problems?
As the world's population continues to grow and climate change makes it more difficult to produce food in the traditional way, scientists are developing new ways of growing plants efficiently. One of these ways is growing plants without soil.
Although this may sound like a modern process, it is not new technology. Ancient Egyptian writings describe how plants were grown in water, and early examples include the famous gardens of Babylon and floating gardens built by the Aztecs in Mexico.
In traditional farming, soil protects the roots of plants, but scientists have shown that plants do not need soil to grow. As long as they can get food from somewhere, they will grow successfully. To grow plants without soil, special food is added to water and the plants take this in through their roots.
Recently, this technology has developed very quickly. It is common in northern Europe where it is used to grow food crops. Vegetables have even been grown in submarines and astronauts have produced food in space using this technology.
Many people think that growing plants in water could help to solve the world's food problems. As cities become larger, there is less land for agriculture. Countries with little land for growing crops could produce more of their food without soil. This way can also be used in areas with poor soil, such as deserts, and in areas near the sea where salt water is damaging the soil. Perhaps soon there will be no areas of the world where food cannot be produced.

3- Choose the correct answer:
1. I'm sorry, I didn't (see – recognize – realize – position) you. You look completely different.
2. Most secondary school teachers (specialize – work – achieve – concentrate) in one or two subjects.
3. Experiments are used to test scientific (thoughts – processes – models – theories).
4. We are (enjoying – remembering – celebrating – developing) my brother's birthday next weekend.
5. My favourite (place – point – location – position) when I play football is goalkeeper.
6. I wish I (know – have known – knew – was knowing) what I was doing at the weekend.
7. My sister wishes she (had worked – worked – works – has worked) harder when she was at school.
8. The children were covered in sand when they got home. They (were playing – have been playing – played – had been playing) on the beach.
9. By the time we arrived home, we (traveled – had traveled – have traveled – are traveling) over 500 kilometers.
10. I expect (pass – to pass – passing – to passing) my driving test when I take it next year.
11. He is a university professor who (popularizes – specializes – realizes – economizes) in the history of the Russian empire.
12. Einstein formulated the (philosophy – symbol – base – theory) of relativity in 1905.
13. The final election (advertisements - results – functions – theories) will be announced on Friday.
14. There are many who will work hard to (attach – detach - achieve - chain) these goals.
15. This is an effective treatment and could (cure – call – compose – contain) all the leprosy sufferers worldwide.
16. The weather (gracefully – grammatically - gradually – greedily) improved.
17. Most spiders weave webs that are almost (invisible - audible – credible – impossible).
18. The project wasted a considerable (number – lot – plot – amount) of time and money.
19. They have developed a new weapon which (greases - releases – pleases – freezes) toxic nerve gas.
20. The company didn't disclose how much it expects to (gain – grain – brain – drain) from the two deals.
21. We meet (rigorously – gorgeously - regularly – greatly) to discuss the progress of the project.
22. There was total agreement to start the peace (process – access – excess – recess) as soon as possible.
23. He objected to (being – having – be – have) arrested without sufficient evidence.
24. The money was used to (furnish – inflame - finance – offend) the construction of public hospitals.
25. He is a/an (staff – employer – employee – lecturer) in law at Alexandria University.
26. Companies should be made to reveal more about their financial (position – place – occupation – profession).
27. I wish you (won't leave – can't leave - wouldn’t leave – wouldn't have left) your clothes all over the floor.
28. I wish he (is – will be – were – can be) here tonight. We would play a game of chess.
29. Do you wish you (have - had – will have – to have) a better job?
30. The doctors hope that she (will recover – recovered – had recovered – is recovering) soon.
31. They offered an advance of $5,000 after the contract (signed – had signed - had been signed – would sign).
32. I'll never forget (to meet – meets – met – meeting) that celebrity at Heathrow Airport in 2002.
33. He didn't leave the house until the storm (had ended – ends – has ended – would end).
34. I dislike (walk – walked – walking – to walk) and I hate the countryside.
35. I have always regretted not (having – to have – to having – being) studied harder at school.
36. Everyone has the right to smoke if they (wish – wishes – wished – had wished), but not the right to ruin the health of those around them.
37. I wish I (didn't have to – won't have to – don't have to – don't need to) go to school. It's really boring.
38. Before I had a chance to say anything, he (had walked – was walked – walks – has walked) away.
39. If you wish (discussing – had discussed – would discuss - to discuss) this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me.
40. As soon as he (feels – has felt - felt – would feel) well again, he returned to work.
41. He always (accused – discouraged – evolved – envied) his brother for the way he made friends so easily.
42. How can you (accuse – accede – accept – achieve – admit) me without knowing all the facts?
43. I (realized – recognized – advised – invented) her from the movies, but she was much taller than I expected.
44. The motive for the murder was clearly (allege – average – revenge – coverage).
45. All five of the men will be charged with committing (season - treason – reason – raisin) against the state.
46. The government started a massive aid programme for the famine (victims – pilgrims – emblems – helmets).
47. Having children is a big (anxiety – availability - responsibility – ability) and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.
48. If you want to be a poet, you must (revolve – evolve – connive – approve) your own style of writing.
49. John rarely misses a sporting (accident – accident = account – event) in his town.
50. Medical treatment (varies – buries – carries – worries) greatly from state to state.

4- Find the mistakes in each of the following sentences and write them correctly:
1- It was nearly midnight by the time he has finished his homework last night.
2- She is very hungry when the rescue team found her. She had eaten nothing for nearly three days.
3- If only they write more quickly.
4- I wish there is something I could do to keep fit.
5- She has decided studying medicine when she goes to university.
6- My sister suggested to go to the zoo at the weekend.
7- He is writing a hysterical novel about nineteenth-century France.
8- She was sentenced to seven years' improvement.
9- A playmate is a person who writes plays.
10- The public is urgently requested to resist police in tracing this criminal.
11- Tom serviced his 24th birthday two days ago.
12- The Ambassador Hotel is a Los Angeles bookmark.
13- Groups of unemployed people from all over the country marched in profession to the capital.
14- Several years after they had split up, they are meeting again by chance in Paris.
15- Before he has reached the door, she had closed it.
16- I wish that I am a bit taller.
17- He wishes he has never got involved in the affair.
18- The car swerved sharply to avoid to hit the dog.
19- I remember seen this man at Ali's house a few weeks ago.
20- No sooner had he arrived in the city but his wallet was stolen.

The Mask of Gold Chapters 4-6
5- A) Answer the following questions:
1- What must the archaeologists find to make sure the tomb was a royal one?
2-What did Leila attach to her e-mail to her sister Samira?
B) Complete the following to make meaningful sentences:
1- There were no plans to survey or mine after ------------------------------------------------.
2- Dr. Hafez trusted Amalia so much that he --------------------------------------------------.
C) Read the quotation and answer the questions:
“Oh, yes, I suppose that’s why you are here in Peru.”
1- Who said to whom?
2- How did the addressed person defend herself?

6- A)Translate into Arabic:
Many people think that growing plants in water could help to solve the world's food problems. As cities become larger, there is less land for agriculture. Countries with little land for growing crops could produce more of their food without soil
B) Translate into English:
1- زراعة النباتات بدون تربة ربما تكون الحل الوحيد لمشكلة نقص الغذاء في العالم.
2- الجفاف وندرة المياه تؤدي إلي موت آلاف البشر كل عام.
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
أشرف على
admin

admin
أشرف على

ذكر
عدد المساهمات : 27639
نقاط : 60776
تاريخ التسجيل : 04/09/2009
الموقع : http://elawa2l.com/vb

الأوسمة
 :
11:

Review 1: Units 7 – 12  Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Review 1: Units 7 – 12    Review 1: Units 7 – 12  Emptyالأربعاء 18 أبريل 2012 - 23:22

Review 1: Units 7 – 12  13278539391
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
http://elawa2l.com/vb

الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1
 مواضيع مماثلة
-
» Review 1: Units 13 – 18
» Review 1: Units 13 – 18
» Review F (Units 16-18 + Chapters 7-8) الثانى الثانوى
» Review 1: Units 1 – 6 مراجعة من الوحدة الاولى الى السادسة الثالث الثانوى لغة انجليزية
» A test on Units 1,2, and 3

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
منتدى شنواى  :: أرشيف المنتدى :: أرشيف المناهج الدراسية :: الثالث الثانوى-
انتقل الى: